Saturday, April 30, 2011

Why I Am Here

I am currently at New Tribes Bible Institute where I plan to invest two years of my life into studying that will give me almost no worldly gain at all. So why am I here?

I came here not really know the answer to that. I felt a deer in headlights really. I was completely blown away at first. I realized that I had really no idea what I had signed myself up for. I came knowing that I needed a deeper understanding of who God was, but that was about it.

So far this semester I feel like I been having a real struggle trying to balance my life between study, personal time with God, and building relationships with others. Study and relationships seem to have been fighting for first while, sadly, most often personal time with God gets left behind. Some recent events and struggles I'm dealing with have really convicted me of how I've used my time here. And I think it all comes down to why I'm here. Not knowing why I'm makes what is most important for me to do incredibly subjective and pragmatic. So, I took the time a few minutes ago to think through this and seek what God has brought me here for, and this is what I've come up with.

1. To Know God
2. To Learn From His Word
3. To Prepare For Ministry

I do not believe I will ever know God fully, or learn everything I can from His Word, or ever be completely prepared for ministry, but these are what I am seeking after while I am here. From these I will seek to base my choices and from these I will evaluate my time. For the next two years (and possibly life) these will be primary.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction,for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." -- Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment